Despite these beauties, my smugness is gone.
I used to get all superior when either my dad, brother or husband said, “This is an easy (computer) problem to fix. It’ll take just a few minutes”. I’d roll my eyes and continue about my business, knowing in my heart they’d still be scratching their heads for at least another couple of hours.
I found an easy tutorial for these super cute mitts online, bought my fleece and jumped right in thinking it would be a quick, instant gratification project.
What would likely take the average beginner just a bit of time took me a smidge longer, and here’s why:
- Make pattern, no problem.
- Cut fabric, no problem.
- Get excited because everything is on a roll.
- I may have (cough) even taken a few moments to show off here.
- Start stitching, realize zigzag is not quite right.
- After about 3rd time of stitching, finally realize the basic zigzag was just fine and I really shouldn’t have been scrolling through the fancy schmancy options on my machine.
- Check the finished mitt and realize it won’t fit anyone in my family.
- Say a few curse words.
- Get up and walk away.
- Double check the directions and realize should have used 1/4 inch seams instead of 1/2 inch.
- “Think” on it for a couple of days.
- Rip it all out in the presence of others so I stay civilized about it.
- Finish it up, again.
- Check the newly finished mitt and realize it fits the one person in the family who has the most narrow hands.
- Sew up second narrow mitt so said family member can at least have a pair. (Bless his heart, he’s worn them nearly every day for about a week now. Love that boy!!!)
- Screw up courage a few days later and make 3rd mitt (with some minor adjustments for size).
- Realize I needed to only increase the fabric in most but not all areas. Whaaaat?! I have a custom hand?! Sheesh!
- Stew for another couple of days.
- Rip back the area that now needs decreasing. (This step is becoming disturbingly easy now.)
- Check sizing.
- Make second mitt.
- Admire its super cuteness… 7 days later.
So, these same mitts my daughter wants me to make for her in sunny yellow really should take about 10 minutes now, right? Right?! (Give or take a couple of days?)